The Astronomy Department at the University of Cape Town is delighted to provide UCT/SKA Doctoral Scholarship to students from South Africa and the African SKA partner countries.
The program is open to support the student who will register in the Astronomy Department for full-time Doctoral study, and conduct research on a study related to the Square Kilometre Array Project.
Founded in 1829, University of Cape Town is one of Africa’s leading teaching and research institutions. It is the highest-ranked African university in the QS World University Rankings and placed among the hundred best internationally.
Why at the University of Cape Town? At this university, candidates can get the opportunities to achieve their individual aspirations and to become leaders in their chosen fields.
It gives them candidates unprecedented opportunities for gaining a world-class qualification.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2019
- Eligible Countries: Students from South Africa and African SKA partner countries.
- Acceptable Course or Subjects: Doctoral degree in Astronomy
- Admissible Criteria: To be eligible for this grant, candidates must be Register for full-time Doctoral study in the Astronomy Department at the University of Cape Town, and Comply with the University’s policies, procedures, and practices for the postgraduate sector.
How to Apply
- How to apply: For applying, claimants are required to take admission in the Doctoral degree program at the university. After taking affirmation, applicants can submit the applications to Director, Postgraduate Centre & Funding Office, 3rd level Otto Beit (Students Union) Building Upper Campus, and University of Cape Town.
- Supporting Documents: Aspirants must have to attach a letter of application in which the proposed study is outlined, a CV no longer than 1 a4 page, certified copies of all academic transcripts and names of two academic referees.
- Admission Requirements: For enrolling in Doctoral program, applicants need to have an MSc in Astronomy, Mathematics, Physics or Electronic Engineering and the Honour’s degree with a minimum pass mark of 65%.
- Language Requirement: Seekers need to provide evidence of your English language ability as part of our application assessment process.
The studentship will be awarded worth up to R125,000 per annum. It is tenable for one year, with the possibility of renewal for a further 2 years.